EN6482 New Technologies in Language Teaching

Friday, April 4, 2008

Learning Management Systems: The wrong place to start learning

The author mentioned some flaws of learning management systems. The developers of the LMS assumed that learning would happen if students were exposed to the content. The author criticized this assumption and stated that learning should be driven by needs but not LMS design.

The first LMS I encountered was Blackboard. When I first used Blackboard, I saw it as a file server for me to download lecture notes and materials. Although there's a discussion board on Blackboard, I don't see it as a place to connect with other learners/instructor. I see it as a medium to submit my homework (weekly discussion).

If is far easier to stay a life-long learner when plugged into a community or learning network, rather than having previous learning confined to a content-locked LMS. (George Siemens)

At work we learn more in the break room than in the classroom. (Jay Cross)

LMS maybe useful for highly motivated learners but not for normal learners nowadays.

4 comments:

Dora said...

Venus,

I agree what you have mentioned about LMS is useful for highly motivated learners. For the other course that we took, some classmates didn't reply since Week 1. Though we got 10 marks for participating in blackboard, some classmates didn't reply anything there. I don't know whether they got heavy workload or they don't like this kind of communication. This is also the other reason that Blackboard is used in tertiary institution instead of primary and secondary schools.

Miss Mami said...

Yup, even adult students like our classmates won't use LMS. I get heavy workload too but I care about my grade.

In fact, my school trys to promote online homework during long holidays. We find that there're some problems. Some students don't do the online homework, they argue that they don't have computers at home or many other reasons. We (the teachers) have heavy workload after the holiday for chasing them to finish the online homework. =(

Dora said...

haha....me too! I got heavy workload but I really CARE about my grade!!!

Learning is a kind of commitment, right? If you don't wanna participate in LMS, that's fine! However, you can't blame others for raising the issue!

Christoph said...

You seem to be using this discussion as a way to raise an old grievance. Please keep this discussion focused on the affordances of learning management systems and show respect for other members of this learning community at all times. Thank you.

Christoph